Lantus Vs. Toujeo
Lantus & Toujeo are both the most common brands of insulin glargine available in the market. In this article, I have compared the Lantus Vs. Toujeo. In my analysis, I have concluded that this insulin can be safely used in patients who have diabetes because they are safer than other long-acting insulin. Also, both of them are proven to be equally effective in controlling patients’ blood sugar levels. The Toujeo and Lantus, both Lantus (brand of insulin) injections, are Glargine (a long-acting form of insulin), indicated for Type-1 and Type-2 diabetes. Both are brands of Sanofi Aventis.
The Main Difference between Lantus & Toujeo
Lantus vs. Toujeo
- Both drugs contain long-acting insulin glargine used to treat and manage Diabetes Type-1 and Type-2.
- Because Toujeo has a longer half-life than Lantus solostar, it doesn’t require as many injections per day.
- Toujeo is very concentrated, which means that you can inject it in a smaller volume than Lantus.
- Toujeo helps keep blood sugar levels more steady than Lantus, so there’s less risk that you’ll suffer from hypoglycemia
- Toujeo appears to have fewer blood-glucose-lowering side effects than Lantus.
- Toujeo is for type 1 and 2 diabetes patients aged 18 years and older, while Lantus is for type 1 and 2 diabetes patients aged six years and older.
- Toujeo is available as a pen, and Lantus is also available as a vial.
- Toujeo is available in 300 units per milliliter dose, while Lantus is available in higher, 100 units per milliliter dose.
- Toujeo has a higher dosage than Lantus, which means that you may need to use less Toujeo to reach the same amount of insulin.
- Toujeo has a 42-day shelf life after opening, at room temperature, while Lantus has a 28-day shelf life after opening.
- Toujeo is less risky for low blood sugar, and Lantus is less risky when it comes to getting an upper respiratory infection.
Lantus Vs. Toujeo in Doses:
Lantus contains 100 units per milliliter, and Toujeo is three times more concentrated,300 units per milliliter.
But, this doesn’t mean you have to take a lower dosage of Toujeo than Lantus solostar. On the contrary, the only difference between the two products is that the Toujeo pen contains more doses than Lantus solostar.
Lantus Vs. Toujeo in Effectiveness
Toujeo and Lantus effectively lower HBA1C numbers. However, while they’re effective in results, toujeo gives more long half-life and stays in the body, providing a steady glucose level than Lantus.
Lantus Vs. Toujeo in Side effects
Toujeo can provide more consistent blood sugar levels than Lantus, reducing the chance of shallow sugars in the blood. According to a study, those who use Toujeo, 60% of them not suffer from severe hypoglycemic incidents than people taking Lantus.
If you are currently taking Lantus and are satisfied with its results, it is unnecessary to switch to Toujeo. However, Toujeo has advantages over Lantus if someone experiences blood sugar fluctuations or frequently experiences hypoglycemic shocks or episodes.