What is Novomix Flexpen?
Novomix Flexpen is one of the Novo Nordisk brands that is used for the treatment and control of diabetes. This formulation is a combination of 2 medications: insulin Aspart and insulin protamine.
Novomix is made up of active ingredients, the short-acting aspart insulin, intermediate-acting protamine, insulin.
Novomix comes in cartilage form, referred to as Novomix Penfil, and in an already filled pen known as Novomix Flexpen.
Novomix flexpen Dosage form:
- Novomix 30,contains 30% soluble insulin aspart and 70% protamine-crystallized insulin aspart.
- Novomix 50 is a mix of 50 percent insulin aspart and 50 percent insulin protamine.
- Novomix 70 is a combination consisting of 70 percent insulin aspart and percent insulin protamine.
The mechanism of Novomix flexpen.
Novomix contains Insulin aspart and can be used to substitute human insulin. Novomix is a rapid-acting insulin aspart that is absorbed more quickly after administration. It also has intermediate-acting insulin protamine crystallized form, which is absorbed slowly after administration.
This insulin substitute functions similarly to the naturally produced insulin within the body, removing sugar from the blood and transferring it to cells for conversion into energy and calories.
This can result in a decrease in blood sugar levels. This would be the ideal outcome is the development of diabetes Mellitus.
Novomix is used for the treatment and control of sugar levels in Type-1 and Type-2 diabetes.
Novomix is given 15 minutes before eating.
Novomix Side Effects
- Gaining weight
- The redness is at the Injection Site
- Skin Rashes
- Skin thickening or lipid deposition at the site of injection.
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level)